Mustard oil is extracted from mustard seeds, It is dark yellow in colour and slightly pungent. It is one of the most preferred oil in Indian kitchen, which is often known as sarso ka tel. Having its unique taste, flavour and nutrition, it is the most authentic cooking oil which is widely used preparing pickles, fish fry, sarson ka saag, ladyfinger etc.
It is also one of the most preferred edible oil in the north eastern states of India like Assam, Bengal, Tripura, Meghalaya, Nagaland etc.
There are certain health benefits of Mustard Oil which are as follows:-
This oil is known as stimulant and helps the intestine to produce digestive juices, which increase the movement of the food, and hence the digestion process.
Shield against Infection
Mustard oil contains anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties because it is high in glucosinolate which don’t enable the presence of microbes. The oil can cure rashes as well as other skin infections caused due to fungi in body.
Prevents Heart Related Ailments
Akanksha “ Nutritionist from a leading Health Clinic, says, mustard Oil is a very rich in polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fats that is PUFA and MUFA respectively and omega-6 and omega-3 fatty acids which helps in balancing, cholesterol level in body. These fatty acids are good fats. Taking mustard oil in your diet may help protect against heart disease.
Used as massaging oil
In Ayurveda, it is also mentioned that using mustard oil for massage in the body facilitates blood circulation to the skin, enhances skin texture, and releases tension. It also activates the sweat glands and helps to release toxins from the body and supports it as a natural cleanser for the body. A gentle and tender massage with mustard oil can work wonders for infants. Mustard oil is traditionally preferred in India over other oils and it is one of the best oil that one can pick to massage your baby. It is widely believed that mustard oil makes bones stronger and helps in the growth of the body.
Relief from Cough and Cold
Mustard oil has been an age old remedy for the treatment of cough and cold. Mustard oil has many medicinal and antibacterial properties. Its warming effect helps in clearing congestion in the respiratory system. Mustard oil treatment is often recommended for applying in the chest in a Luke warm temperature. Mix mustard oil with garlic and massage in chest, back and neck area. It is a very safe and effective way to treat cough.
Good for Skin and Hair
Mustard oil is extremely beneficial for skin and is often used in Ayurveda therapy treatments. It contains vitamin E which is an important nutrient for the skin. It prevents fine lines and wrinkles, and acts as a sunscreen. Besides this mustard oil provides essential nutrients to the hair follicles for proper growth. Mustard seed oil is rich in Omega-3 fatty acids important for hair growth and maintenance of strong, healthy hair. Regular use of mustard oil stimulate hair growth and restore natural shine. It prevents scalp infections by inhibiting fungal growth and keeping it hydrated.
Read this article: Benefits of Organic Green Tea
Some potential health benefits of mustard oil include:
Mustard oil has been used for centuries in many parts of the world as a cooking oil, massage oil, and medicinal remedy.
- May improve heart health: Mustard oil is high in monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fatty acids, which can help lower cholesterol levels and reduce the risk of heart disease.
- May reduce inflammation: Mustard oil contains a compound called allyl isothiocyanate, which has been shown to have anti-inflammatory properties and may help reduce inflammation in the body.
- May promote skin and hair health: Mustard oil contains high levels of vitamin E, which can help moisturize and protect the skin and hair. It also contains antioxidants that can help fight free radicals and prevent premature aging.
- May aid in digestion: Mustard oil has been used traditionally to aid in digestion and may help stimulate the production of digestive enzymes, promoting healthy digestion.
- May have antimicrobial properties: Mustard oil contains compounds that may have antimicrobial properties, which can help protect against bacterial and fungal infections.
It’s important to note that while mustard oil has potential health benefits, it is also high in erucic acid, which can be harmful if consumed in large amounts. It is recommended to use mustard oil in moderation and to choose varieties that have been specifically labeled as safe for consumption.